Saturday, November 23, 2013

Indian Spices

I love preparing indian meals with local fresh ingredients.  Right now in the UK, I am using potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, beetroot and lots of onions to make fantastic vegetarian Indian food - it really is easy to use local, seasonal produce, mixed with indian spices for low cost, healthy and nutritious food.

I will be posting recipes on this blog to start  you on your indian cooking adventure, but first of all, I thought I'd start with looking at some of the spices that make up our cuisine.

These photos were taken on a trip my wife and I took to a spice farm, it was wonderful to see how the spices grow and we are now growing some of our own on our window sills here in the UK, including ginger, cardamom and lemongrass.

Here is some cardamom growing in India - it is a very tall plant and the seeds grow near the roots.


Fragrant lemon grass.


OK, so the next two aren't spices, but were interesting to see growing, below are cashew nuts - ready to make the Goan speciality Kaju femi.


And, coffee beans!




No comments:

Post a Comment